Monday 29 July 2013

DIY: Dress > Short shorts

Been on a bit of a DIY frenzy since I've finished my placement, which I guess is kinda good for my bank balance.
I currently have a playsuit that I absolutely love the shape of but not so fond of the print and I was going to buy some fabric and make up a pattern but I remember I had an old dress I bought from ebay for about a pound but the top was far too small for my boobs. BOO But the skirt was so large I thought would make the perfect pair of shorts so...I got sewing!


Step one. 
Lay the skirt flat and measure the front width and back width. Measure the crotch depth before taking to the scissors, and cut this measurement at the half point. Turn inside out and pin the front and back together.

Step Two.
Sew 1cm parallel to the edge and square along the top (basically a rectangle around the edge) Snip into the corners of the rectangle so the fabric lays flat. 


Step Three.
Either roughly roll or do as I did and measure to the point you want them rolled to and fold evenly, it helps to give each press a quick press to hold them in place. I then did a quick stitch along hidden points to keep it folded.

AND FINALLY...


This photo doesn't do them much justice but I will definitely take an ootd photo when I get round to wearing them!

Hope you like!!
Remember to follow my instagram for lots of fashiony photos and ootd's @ Katie_cmanning

6 comments:

  1. Fab idea - great skills!

    I would love for you to take a look at my blog and my latest post on how to Steal Rihanna's BOY London Style.

    Charlie xx
    lurchhoundloves.com Fashion & Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, loved your post! come check out my blog :) elliebeaa.blogspot.com

    thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing DIY! <3

    wishuponasmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute! I found your description on google+ really inspiring by the way :) lovely blog now following! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is such a great idea. They look awesome. x
    www.jessicaroseturner.com

    ReplyDelete